God or Science?
The obvious response from a Christian worldview is why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? The Bible has never contradicted science, as scientists make new discoveries, previously perceived contradictions are rectified or corrected. Up until 1801 and the first proposal of the concept of ‘evolution’ by Jean Baptiste Lamarck, man believed in God or nothing, and for thousands of years this was the case. There is of course no proof whatsoever of macro-evolution, ‘particle to person’ or ‘Hominid to Homo-Sapien,’ despite many who will tell you otherwise (please see my article, “18 reasons why evolution is a lie“). Don’t believe the lies!
Created in the image of God
The pantheon of Greek and Roman ‘gods’ are evidence enough that man has sense to realize he was formed in the image of God or ‘gods.’ In nearly every record of anthropology, there is an inherent belief in two things: 1. that we descended from God or gods and 2. at one time in the archaic past, a great flood covered the earth (Genesis 7:6-10). Even the secular Mesopotamian poem, “The Epic of Gilgamesh” which is one of the most ancient written texts (Sumerian), describes a universal flood and has close parallels with the creation story in the Garden of Eden. Amazingly, indigenous peoples, who have never cross communicated, all held these beliefs passed on from their forefathers. This reinforces the fact of a universal and catastrophic deluge that is prevalent throughout compartmentalized history. The sacrifice of animals for the remission and reproach of sin is also universal. The feeling that man may be able to purge himself from wrongdoing by the shedding of blood is ubiquitous in civilizations. All these facets have truth to them. If we look at the biographies of some of the most world renowned scientists down the years, they were Christians or God believers; clearly their thinking wasn’t marred by their so called, ‘primitive bible beliefs.’ In fact, I would contend that the brightest and best scientists have always been those who believed in God e.g. Sir Isaac Newton, Robert Boyle, William Thomas Kelvin, Blaise Pascal, Sir Francis Bacon, Nicholas Copernicus, Michael Faraday, Max Planck, Albert Einstein and the list goes on. It’s hard to quibble with a list like this as these men arguably represent the paragon of scientific minds.
Legal separation from divine origin
The difficulty today is that since June 25, 1962 when the Supreme Court ruled wrongly to oust prayer from public schools, God’s permissive influence has waned. The school system in this nation has become radically secularized over the past half century. This is the case in Europe also, where the European Union rulings from Brussels, Belgium have statutes and governances having no mention of divine origin or moral compass with regard to any ruling deity. The ultimate authority is the state, not God. Our leaders today are a generation of children raised in a secular education system that only teaches one side of the story. To be objective, one needs to teach both evolution and creation and let the child decide. However, with over five decades of biased secular teaching, if we approach some of these students with the concept that our world was created, we are laughed to scorn, with statements like, “didn’t you know that evolution is fact?”, “Is religion your opiate or crutch?”, “only simpletons believe in a God” etc. I have news for you. Just because it is written in a textbook, doesn’t mean it is fact. A careful amalgamation of disconnected hypotheses framed to appear as interlinked, does not constitute fact. We are in danger of losing generations as they fiercely regurgitate what they have been ‘taught’ in a partisan system that teaches half-truths posing as fact. This, friend, is a sardonic agenda by the evil one (satan) to keep our children in darkness as a result of the spiritual vacuum created when God was removed from public schools. However, it is no laughing matter as millions of souls are at stake. This is my first of a series of articles in which I list biblical mention of various scientific fields and known laws as follows:
- Astronomy – Since ancient times man has counted the stars. Ptolemy counted 1056, Tycho Brahe cataloged 777 and Johannes Kepler counted 1005. Yet the Bible said that ”the host of heaven cannot be numbered” (Jeremiah 33:22), while also comparing ”the sand which is upon the seashore” to “the stars of heaven” in multitude (Genesis 22:17). Before the invention of the modern telescope, this must have seemed like a serious scientific mistake in the Bible. Now, however, it must be recognized as a supernatural scientific insight. Astronomers now estimate that there are at least 1026 stars (that is, a hundred-million-billion-billion stars) which reflect the same order of magnitude as the number of grains of sand on earth. Truly, the stars cannot be numbered. Scientists have also identified that each star is unique; this is also referenced in scripture, “One star differeth from another star in glory“(1 Corinthians 15:41).
- Solar System – Psalm 19 makes mention of our solar system. Speaking of the sun, the Psalmist mentions, “His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof” (Psalm 19:6).
- The Earth Is A Sphere – Better known as Geophysics, this field had always assumed the Bible teaches the earth is flat; nothing could be further from the truth. Isaiah 40:22 states, “It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth”. The word translated ‘circle’ is the Hebrew khug, a more exact connotation of which is ‘sphericity’ or ‘roundness.’
- Dark Matter – Science mentions the universe is comprised of a quantity called ‘dark matter’, i.e. a large part of the total mass of the universe is hidden to us. Its existence can only be inferred from gravitational effects or radiation. Interestingly, this concept is alluded to in Job 26:7, “God ….hangeth the earth upon nothing.” That ’nothing’ supports 5.972 sextillion metric tons, which you guessed it, is the weight of planet earth. Even today no one really knows what gravity is or how it works. This mysterious force of gravity keeps the earth connected to the sun, 93 million miles away. There is no better explanation, ‘the earth hangs upon nothing.”
- Hydrology – the field of hydrology (science of water) is one with many biblical accounts because of the major importance of water in the life of mankind. The water cycle and its accompanying global atmospheric circulation have only been demonstrated scientifically in recent years, but they were set forth in the Bible ages ago. Ecclesiastes 1:6-7, set down by King Solomon three thousand years ago, describes it in great detail, “The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.” Solomon describes a succinct yet comprehensive outline of the water cycle on earth; no wonder great wisdom is attributed to him. Elihu also mentions the hydrological cycle in Job 36:27-29, “For he maketh small the drops of water: they pour down rain according to the vapour thereof:Which the clouds do drop and distil upon man abundantly. Also can any understand the spreadings of the clouds, or the noise of his tabernacle?”
- Hemodynamics – Leviticus 17:11 and a number of other scripture verses concerning the preeminent importance of blood in the biological mechanism, was written thousands of years in advance of the discovery of the circulation of blood by William Harvey in 1616. The bible states clearly that literally, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood.” Blood composition can greatly impact health. Continuance of life is now known to depend upon the supply of oxygen, water and food cells of the body. This essential function is accomplished in a marvelous manner by the blood as it circulates constantly throughout the body year after year. The blood which is the channel of life can also become the carrier of disease and infection through the body when they gain the upper hand in the system. The Word of God was scientifically accurate in this great biological truth long before scientists discovered and elaborated it. How great is our God!
“Science and the Bible” – Henry M. Morris (Moody Press- 1986 Revised Edition)
“Famous Scientists who believed in God”- http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html
“50 years Without Official School Prayer”- http://www.christianpost.com/news/50-years-without-official-school-prayer-76945/
“Early Concepts of Evolution: Jean Baptiste Lamarck” – http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/history_09
The Epic of Gilgamesh – http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh
|Senior Pastor Carl Joseph desires to see God move in power in the downtown Denver area. He is joined in the ministry by his wife, Amy. In his spare time, he rides his motorcycle and plays golf.|