Loading...

What does God say about healing?

We believe provision was made in the atonement (Christ’s death, burial and resurrection) for the healing of our bodies as set forth in the following Scriptures:

 

  1. Isaiah 53:4-5
  2. Matthew 8:16-17
  3. Mark 16:15-18
  4. James 5:14-16
  5. Exodus 15:26
  6. Romans 8:26-28

 

And, while we do not condemn the use of medical means in the treatment of physical disease in any way, we do believe in, practice, and commend the laying on of hands by the elders or leaders of the church, the anointing with oil in the name of the Lord, and the offering of prayers for the healing of the sick (James 5:14).

 

A biblical perspective

All true healing comes from God. The use of medication is a wonderful gift to man having the capacity to control symptoms of sickness and disease, whilst the body is repairing itself or fighting infection. The human body, designed by God always strives for balance and repair. We are grateful for the wisdom of God, operating through man (via medicine and surgical means), to help in this fight against sickness and disease.

At DHOP, we also believe in the ongoing responsibility of preventative action in maintaining the body God has given us. Some disease can be caused by gross negligence and gluttony and is considered sin (Prov 23:21). There are natural consequences for actions in this world and many ailments are preventable with proper nutrition, hydration and exercise. God is merciful to assist us in healing if preventative measures are not taken and that’s where medicine and divine healing comes in to play. We should always seek God for healing first, not as an afterthought.

In the Gospels, approximately 75% of the healing that occurred were ‘by faith’ and the remaining 25% were by divine intervention. Often times the faith of the person came into play and they were healed because of it (Matt 9:29, Luke 8:48). Other times Jesus healed by the gift of healings and miracles. In the case of being healed ‘by faith,’ the person involved has an impact on the outcome. In the case of divine intervention, the person’s faith was independent of his healing. God has performed and still does perform both kinds of healing today.

 

God desires to heal all

Regardless of the outcome, it is always God’s will to heal just as it was for Jesus when he walked this earth. Jesus said, “If you’ve seen me, you’ve seen the Father” (John 14:9) and Jesus was a representation of God and His intentions on this earth. If Jesus healed all then it is the fathers will to heal all. If healing is not received, it is never Gods fault. The belief that God uses sickness and disease to ‘teach’ his people is perverse and blasphemous; otherwise Jesus would have left people in their sickened condition for more ‘learning’s’; this he never did. Not one person was left in their condition, Jesus healed all and he still does today.
 

Matthew 4:23 “And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.”
Acts 10:38,How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.”

 
 

    Comments

Leave a Comment

Let us know what you think about this post, Just fill in that form on the right.